Aerial + Contemporary Dance Artist
Aerial Dance + Dramaturgy Teacher
Gabrielle Martin is an aerial and dance artist, director/choreographer and an artistic producer who has performed over 1,400 shows internationally. Originally from Vancouver, Canada, she studied somatic movement and contact improvisation, and performed fire manipulation and stilt walking before obtaining her Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) in Contemporary Dance from Concordia University (Montreal, 2009). While in Montreal, Gabrielle studied aerial arts such as aerial silks and rope. In 2010, she received a Conseil des Arts et des Lettres du Quebec Research and Creation in Dance grant for her choreography, Infractions, and from 2009-2011, she toured this as well as her other works at the following Canadian festivals: Vancouver International Dance Festival (Vancouver, Canada, 2009), Guelph Contemporary Dance Festival (Guelph, Canada, 2010 & 2011), and ROMP! A Festival of Independent Dance (Victoria, Canada, 2011).
From 2011-2015, Gabrielle toured full time with Cavalia, performing aerial rope, bungee trapeze, bungee dance and harness dance numbers. In 2015, she began working with Cirque du Soleil as part of the creation of TORUK - The First Flight. She toured with this show until it closed in 2019, during which time she was the principal female character, Tsyal, and performed a solo aerial silks number. In 2018, Gabrielle co-founded the aerial dance-theatre company, Ci and directed it’s first show, Limb(e)s with the support of the Canada Council for the Arts, BC Arts Council, creative collaborators, and residencies at Cirkör LAB (SE), L’Espace Catastrophe (BE), and Le Centre de Création (FR). In 2019, she presented Limb(e)s at Montréal Complètement Cirque (CA), La Chapelle Scènes Contemporaines (CA), and Assembly Festival at Edinburgh Festival Fringe (UK). Gabrielle recently completed a certificate in Circus Dramaturgy at the Centre National des Arts du Cirque (France, 2020) and an MA in Arts and Cultural Management (Rome Business School, 2021).
MASTER OF ARTS, ARTS AND CULTURAL MANAGEMENT
Rome Business School | 2021
CERTIFICATE IN CIRCUS DRAMATURGY
Centre National des Arts du Cirque (Châlons-en-champagne, France) | 2020
BACHELOR OF FINE ARTS, CONTEMPORARY DANCE
Concordia University (Montreal, Canada) | 2009
PRODUCER / CO-CHOREOGRAPHER / DANCE + AERIAL ARTIST
Company Ci, International Creation + Touring | Sept 2018 - Present
• Developed concept, co-choreographed & performed the aerial dance piece LIMB(E)S, a top-three nominee for the TOTAL THEATRE AWARDS in Physical and Visual Theatre (UK).
• Produced with support from the Canada Council for the Arts and the BC Arts Council.
• Presented it at: L’autre cirque program of MONTRÉAL COMPLÈTEMENT CIRQUE and LA CHAPELLE SCÈNES CONTEMPORAINES (2019, Montréal CA), as well as at the EDINBURGH FESTIVAL FRINGE with ASSEMBLY FESTIVAL (2019, Edinburgh UK).
• Co-produced as full-length dance film (2021, Vancouver CA) with support from the BC Arts Council and The Dance Centre (Vancouver).
AERIAL DANCE + DRAMATURGY TEACHER
International Workshops | March 2015 - March 2021
• Taught Aerial Choreography, with an emphasis on dramaturgy, at EN PISTE, Canada's National Circus Arts Alliance (2021)
• Taught own technique of horizontal vocabulary, spirals, balances, and harnessing momentum on vertical apparatuses at festivals and studios including: SANTA BARBARA FLOOR TO AIR FESTIVAL (2015, US), THE ARTZ (2016, Houston US), TRAUMATIC ARTS (2018, Zagreb HR), AERIAL DANCE HAMBURG (2018, DE), BEFLY (2019, Milan IT), CIRCUSWEST (2019, Vancouver CA), CIRCUS LAB (2019, Langley CA), WEST COAST FLYING TRAPEZE (2019, Pitt Meadows, CA).
DANCE + AERIAL ARTIST
CIRQUE DU SOLEIL, Creation (MTL) + International Touring | April 2015 - June 2019
• Collaborated as an artist in the creation of TORUK - THE FIRST FLIGHT.
• Performed the principal female character role including an aerial silks solo.
• Collaborated as an artist in the creation of the OPENING CEREMONIES OF THE PAN AM GAMES and performed as an aerialist and dancer.
• Performed over 800 shows internationally with the company.
DANCE + AERIAL ARTIST
CAVALIA, International Touring | August 2011 - January 2015
• Performed over 600 shows internationally as an aerialist and dancer in duo and ensemble numbers of aerial rope, bungee trapeze, aerial harness and dance.
• Collaborated as an artist in the recreation of the show.
CO-CHOREOGRAPHER / DANCE + AERIAL ARTIST
Floating Seed Collective | April 2009 - August 2011
• Co-choreographed and performed the aerial dance piece CHRYSALIS.
• Presented it at: VANCOUVER INTERNATIONAL DANCE FESTIVAL (2009), THÉÂTRE SAINTE CATHERINE (2009, Montréal CA), MONTRÉAL INTERNATIONAL JAZZ FESTIVAL (2009), GUELPH CONTEMPORARY DANCE FESTIVAL (2010), ROMP! FESTIVAL OF INDEPENDENT DANCE (2011, Victoria CA).
CHOREOGRAPHER / PRODUCER
INFRACTIONS - Independent Project | September 2010 - October 2011
• Choreographed the dance piece INFRACTIONS, an excerpt of which was a top-ten nominee for SADLER'S WELLS GLOBAL DANCE CONTEST.
• Produced with support from the Conseil des Arts et des Lettres du Quebec.
• Presented it at: STUDIO 303 (2011, Montréal CA), WAVE RISING SERIES (2011, New York US), GUELPH CONTEMPORARY DANCE FESTIVAL (2011).
2010 - present
2010 - present
Fellowshops / Residencies / Mentorships
• WHY NOT THEATRE ThisGen Fellowship; Fellow in cultural leadership stream under mentorship of Marcus Youssef (Vancouver, 2021).
• BOGLIASCO FOUNDATION; Fellowship (postponed to 2022, Bogliasco IT).
• LE CENTRE DE CRÉATION; Creation Residency (2019, Dordogne FR).
• L'ESPACE CATASTROPHE; Residences Hivernales (2019, Brussels BE).
• CIRKUS CIRKOR; Cirkor LAB Creation Residency (2018, Stockholm SW).
• La TOHU; Creation Residency (2016-2017, Montréal CA), with mentors David Pressault and Sarah Poole.
• DANCE NEW AMSTERDAM; RAW Material Creation & Presentation Program (2011, New York USA), with mentor Gus Solomons, jr.
• REGROUPEMENT QUÉBÉCOIS DE LA DANSE; Atelier de création pour jeunes chorégraphes (2010-2011, Montréal), with mentors Sophie Michaud and David Pressault.
Professional Workshops / Specialized Training
• FESTIVAL DELTEBRE DANSA (July 2018, Deltebre ES); Intensive workshops in Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui Repertoire (with Niku Chaudhari & Damien Fournier), Voice Being (Shai Dayan), Dynamics, Rhythm & Texture (Kristina & Sade Alleyne), Flying Low (Milan Herish), Payatt INtransit (Rakesh Sukesh).
• IMPULSTANZ (August 2017, Vienna AT); Intensive workshops in Dynamics, Rhythm & Texture (Kristina & Sade Alleyne), Akram Khan Repertoire (Jose Agudo), Ultima Vez Repertoire (Laura Aris), Flying Low (David Zambrano), Centrifugal Empowerment (Damien Jalet), Dramaturgy (Guy Cools).
• LES RENCONTRES DE DANSE AÉRIENNE (July 2017, Saint Nazaire, FR); Intensive Aerial Rope Master Class (Gabriel Tramullas and Emiliano Ron).
• CIRQUE DU SOLEIL HQ (April 2017, Montréal CA); Aerial Fabric Solo Act Creation with Itzel Viruega & Helene Lemay.
• AERIAL DANCE FESTIVAL (August 2011, Boulder US); Intensive workshops in Bungee (Danielle Hendricks), Harness (Valerie Morris), Advanced Rope (Kevin O’ Connor), Invented Apparatuses (Nancy Smith).
• LES RENCONTRES DE DANSE AÉRIENNE (July 2011, La Baule FR) ; Intensive workshops in Dance Trapeze (Sarah Poole), Aerial Harness (Kate Lawrence), Aerial Fabric (Fred Deb’ & Jacques Bertrand), and Rotating Hoop (Fred Deb’).